Thursday, 3 January 2008

A Hap-hap-happenin' New Year!

Guess who made it to 2008...

That's right people! Somehow I managed to survive the most orangey-smelling squat party I've ever been to!

It all started around 7pm on New Year's Eve, where my flatmate Hussein and I sat frantically on our laptops with Hallucinagen (that's psytrance to those who don't know) pounding out, getting us in the mood for a night of glowsticks and UV paint. We'd originally planned to go to Rumbleteaser, which was held in a secret location, yet our registration didn't work and the phone line was down. So, instead we decided at 10:30pm to pick up our asses and a can of Carlsberg and to hop on a train to an N11 postcode at World of Leather. At least one party hotline was working that night... An event called Nomad which was held in World of Leather...

Midnight struck and the fireworks went off the second our train passed the London eye, so we got full view and it was fantastic. These huge explosions that looked like glitter in a snow globe, bursting in to the sky. For the first time I think I've ever seen in the smoke... People were talking to each other ON THE TRAIN, wishing a happy new year.

Ok, fast forward past the tube... We're walking past a mega busy road and catch up with a bunch of people ahead of us who are carrying hoolahoops and who mostly seem to be wearing funny hats and customised clothing. I felt under-dressed...

We got to World of Leather to find nothing on, yet we followed the hippies and the trail of marijuana smoke to find ourselves at another 'venue' (I say this in the loosest of terms, there was no water in the women's toilets after all) and upstairs at the event which was originally to be held in Zone 1... Rumbleteaser!

I hadn't been to anything like this before. This scene is always so unique, open-minded and friendly (once you learn how to judge who is sober enough to talk to), even if it does smell a bit funny.

There were live acts on all night, from DJs to World Music and one band who sounded kind of like a mixture of Morrocan, Congolese and Irish mashed together. We talked to different people and I experimented with a legal high... Something which I never plan on doing again.

The next day we ended up home at 11am shattered. I had difficulty sleeping much of the next day, but as soon as I was up on Wednesday it was back to the library for me. Torn mournfully away from the incense, pretty lights and fancy dress and thrown back in to the world of London buses, university assignments and personal hygene. Still... Roll on next event, where will it be?

Oh... And naturally, I have a couple of photos from the event (that I nicked from my flatmate's facebook. Hehe!)

1 comment:

Amy Rose Walter said...

this party looks effing awesome, i bet you had so much fun despite the smell!